← View all articles
14 May 2014← View all articles
Tax Free Jewellery Purchases
Are you planning on ‘popping’ the question? Will you be travelling internationally? Then talk to us about buying the perfect engagement ring for your loved one, tax free with Zero Rated GST.
As you would expect, jewellery in New Zealand incurs a 15% Goods and Services Tax (GST). However, if you’re buying a piece and giving it as a personal gift while you’re out of the country, then you are exempt from paying the levy. This is a great way to offset the cost of international travel.
At Ellerslie Jewellers & Engravers, we can talk you through the process of buying jewellery tax free. Here’s our quick guide:
- Select the piece of jewellery for your beloved via our website or visit us at our store at 115 Main Highway, Ellerslie:
- Full payment must be made to Ellerslie Jewellers & Engravers within 28 days prior to you leaving New Zealand, and must be made prior to delivery to airport.
- We take care of all the paperwork and simply provide you with a discreet document packet ('Tax Free Sales Receipt') to present to the Customs collection point at the airport (this can even be done without your partner knowing about it!)
- We will send the item to the airport ready for collection. Items are hand-delivered to the Customs collection point at the airport to ensure your items are safe.
- After you have cleared customs, simply present your copy of the ‘Tax Free Sales Receipt’ at our airport collection point (our staff will provide all the necessary information when you make your purchase).
- Owner/Purchaser of the jewellery must be the one traveling.
- You must pick up your jewellery prior to your flight leaving New Zealand.
- You cannot collect jewellery on a return flight. If you forget to pick up your item prior to your departure flight, you may need to pay the GST tax when you pick it up on your return to New Zealand.
- If you are purchasing the piece as a gift and at Zero Rated GST, you must present the gift to the recipient while you are away overseas. If you wish to present it after your return to New Zealand, you may be expected to pay the GST Tax upon your return.
- Item being purchased must be for personal use (not re-sale)
- For purchases in excess of NZD$4,000 from Ellerslie Jewellers.